Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) butter or olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green onion
- 2 turnips, chopped, save the greens for garnish
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth from boiling the bones of a millsap chicken (use vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups of R-Farm milk w/ cream
1 Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add chopped turnip, sauté about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
2 Add sweet potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
3 Remove cinnamon stick and discard. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot.
4 Add R-Farm milk and stir over medium-low heat to heat through. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool soup slightly. Cover and refrigerate soup and celery leaves separately. Bring soup to simmer before continuing.) Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with green onions and turnip tops.
Serves 6 to 8.