Fun facts about strawberries
Our extra strawberries share has just begun and we are loving the deliciously sweet strawberries!
To celebrate the start of strawberry season, here are some fun facts about strawberries.
- Strawberries have more vitamin C than an orange. (8 berries contain 140% of the daily value.) They are also a good source of folic acid, potassium and fiber.
- Strawberry juice and honey will reduce inflammation or sunburn. Rub the mixture into the skin, and then rinse with warm water and lemon juice.
- California grows 83% of the strawberries for the US, amounting to 1 billion pounds per year.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family, which is why they are so fragrant.
- They can help reduce the risk of cancer and heart attacks.
- Strawberries, which are rich in Nitrate, increases blood flow to the muscles by 7%. This helps prevent muscle fatigue and makes exercise easier.
- Strawberries are grown in every state in the US and every province in Canada.
- Strawberries are not berries or fruit, they are the enlarged ends of the plant’s stamen.