Continuing with yesterday’s theme of “What to do with the strange and wonderful things that show up in your share,” the excellent blog Nourished Kitchen has a wonderful post outlining 7 principles for preparing mystery vegetables, even if you don’t know what they are or what to do with them. If you apply these principles, you should be able to make delicious meals out of even the most curious vegetables.
You’ll want to read the whole thing for helpful tips, but the seven principles are:
1) Tough Greens: Braise them.
2) Tender Greens: Make a vinaigrette.
3) Odd-looking Root Vegetables: Roast them.
4) Strange, Sweet Herbs: Make Herbal Sun Tea
5) Serve A Gratin.
6) Serve a Soup.
7) Vegetables (but not greens): Ferment them.
Hopefully, this will help you get the best out of your CSA box week to week. And, of course, always feel free to ask questions when you pick up your share — we love talking about vegetables!