We had wonderful weather for a February work day, and we completed many tasks. Our team was made up of 5 CsA members, Curtis, Sarah and kids, and our wonderful farm man Ryan.
- we planted our spring seeds into blocks giving them a head start. This involves mixing our soil in the cement mixer, dumping it out. Using the soil blocker to block up the soil
- Took down the chicken fence, moved it and put it back up. Hauled the coop to the new site. Chased the chickens back in and finished putting up the fence.
Summer High Tunnel site clean up-
- in the fall we planted the spinach you are currently enjoying in the field directly east of our summer high tunnel site. As weather cooled we pulled the high tunnel over the spinach leaving the summer site open to the winter weather. We took the time today to clean this site up, which involved many tasks.
- Raspberries-removed old cane, we grow primo-
cane raspberries which means they fruit on a 1st year canes. This makes cleaning them up for the next summer a lot easier. We removed a variety we are not pleased with called Polana to make way for replanting with Jone J. We found that we favor the size and flavor of Jone J this past summer. We also worked to mulch the bed with wood chips to prevent weeds next summer.
- Tomatoes-cleaned up last summers tomato plants. Today’s team cleaned up T posts and stakes by removing twine and stacking them. We use the t post to hold up the tomato plants in the summer
We also weeded the winter high tunnel site. This is an ongoing task.
Great day thanks to those of you who contributed!